Wednesday, 5 August 2026

New Milton show

 


I hate the New Forest. I'd never been there, but I hated what I imagined it to be with queues of traffic and people leaning out of car windows looking at ponies. 

So it came to pass that Mr. Hill and I headed through the New Forest to a hitherto unknown show at New Milton. A chance taken. There was a traffic queue and a pub with a sign which read ' you're stuck in traffic, you may as well come in'.    Nice. 

We found the show despite some interesting signage. High points on the listings were Harlyn which I'd not seen for a while and Marley Potts (above) from ex-Newhaven bod Ian Forsyth. This was actually a little gem of a show with plenty of new stuff to see and some interesting ideas to boot including the 'column change' sector plate (below) which was a neat little idea. Catering was cheap, entertaining and top notch, we even got free cake later on. This is what all shows should be like: not too big, good mix, hospitable, good parking and free cake. 

The return trip was worse with Down from London types who had never seen a horse before all stopping when one stood in the road (horse not pony). I know what a horse looks like, they wander down my road every morning. If you wave your arm around encouragingly, they'll soon move on. The DFLs just queued, looked at it and took instagram photos. All my worst fears realised.

Show 9.5

Parking 8

Catering 11

Rucksacks 0

buymeacoffee.com/chrisford2Q


No comments:

Post a Comment