Saturday, 1 August 2026

Saturday Ramble: Lightening the load

 Sometimes there can be too much. Sometimes you just want to clear the decks and sit in the sun, especially at it has made a rare appearance this summer. The TT:120, done to the best of the brief if not my satisfaction. The trio of BRM projects moved through quite swiftly and submitted to Warner Towers. Suddenly there is nothing; though this isn't quite the case. Hidden under the debris are projects  long forgotten and yet now taking a new urgency.


There are a number of items that have been on the bench both physically and metaphorically for probably a year. Honestly these all need to be finished. The target therefore is to get all these done and clear. This, as well as a few tidy-up and addition bits to both Rhiw 2 and Drovers Brook; the first of these, above, was to get a walkway over the as yet to be added point rodding. This probably comes with the Ratio kit, but as I bought it for a fiver from the Croydon club stand part-built, I had to make my own. This probably sums up the general  direction of travel now; I make things from scratch and scrap, and fix up old discarded stuff. There's more pleasure to be had from actual modelling and rescuing than I've ever got from buying something, especially at the eye-watering prices that are to the fore now. We are steadily losing this. Yes I know this is a well-worn moan from the older guys but when a very well-known younger modeller pinged me and asked if I knew where you could buy 3D printed tie-bar plates for a bridge he was building, and I replied '20 thou sheet and some micro rod', you do begin to wonder. That though is a whole other can of worms and this is about me working through bits. I'll line them up in due course.

In the meantime Drovers Brook heads toward the Bredgar and Wormshill event on Sunday. Not an exhibition in the true sense, but a bolt-on to all the other things that are happening. We'll all be in the engine shed, which may well be cooler than outside, or unbearably hot.

Consolidation time.

buymeacoffee.com/chrisford2Q

No comments:

Post a Comment